A big hoo-hah was made by the #datamustfall campaign in a meme stating data cost 14 times more in SA than in India.
This was widely shared on Social Media and the masses fell for it without asking is this true or is this all the facts or Why?
This statement is Largely FALSE
Why is data so cheap in India? Consider the following FACTS:
- India has the slowest internet speed in Asia.
- India count amongst the countries with the worst internet connections.
- India ranks 114th globally in internet speeds.
- The average internet connection speed in India is 1.7Mbps.
- Only 0.7% users in India get internet speeds over 10Mbps.
- Just 4.9% of the users have access to internet connect speeds of 4Mbps or more.
- According to their own citizens they have the worst mobile operators in the world who delivers the worst data speed.
- The broadband adoption rate in India remains below 10%.
- Despite the 3G rollout, the state of internet connections is still very poor.
- Only Libya, Nigeria, Nepal, Iran’s has worse internet speeds than India.
- India has the slowest connection speed AND peak connection speed in Asia.
- The average page load time for broadband connection is 3.9 seconds.
- Frequently dropped calls happen at a rate of 5%. That is more than 1 out of 10 calls that drop.
- The average upload speed in India is 727 Kbps compared to that in South Africa which is 6.42 Mbps!
- The average download speed in India is 2.1Mbps compared to that in South Africa which is 64 Mbps!
Still unhappy about the unfair supposedly outrageous prices of operators in South Africa? Just remember: YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!